Winter is hard on your car, a large part of that is the bad weather, other parts of that are the lack of preparation that people make on their cars.
The AA patrols the streets and helps people with breakdowns every year, one of their worst years on record was 2010, during that year there were over 28,000 breakdowns.
These breakdowns are not caused by many things you would imagine like cars coming off the road from the ice and snow, or people stranded in snow drifts. Many of these issues are caused by lack of equipment which means that you need to do all of your homework and make sure that you are ready for winter to avoid a needless breakdown. Here are lists of items that will allow you to be safer and ensure that you are able to have access to the tools you need to stay safe and ahead.
1. The Antifreeze: This is a coolant that keeps your car performing in the extreme temperatures, plan on topping off the antifreeze with a kind that will make sure that you have the right formula for the cold. If you are not sure you want to make sure that you speak to your garage to have the best options.
2. The Battery: The most common problem in cars is with the battery, a battery can have more than 5 years on it, but it will struggle in the snow and the cold. You may need to get it replaced in advance to make sure that you do not have a dead battery.
3. Your Fuel: You need to make sure that you have a least a quarter of a tank of fuel at all times so that if you are stuck, you do not run out of gas.
4. Your Lights: You will want to make sure that you are cleaning all of your bulbs and lights so that others can see you, in addition to this you will want to make sure that you also have spare bulbs all the time so that you will be ahead and know you have all you need.
5. Your Tires; you want to make sure that you have as well at least 3mm of tread that is available for your safety. You need to make sure as well that you are always checking your tire pressures as well at least 1x per month.
6. Your Windshield: You need to make sure that you are able to see well, this means as well that you want as well to keep the inside and the outside of your car clean in and out. In addition to that you also need to make sure that you have excellent windshield wipers.
7. Your Locks and Your Door Seals: When you look at your car make sure that you also put WD30 on your car locks and Vaseline around your door; this will keep your car accessible and make sure that your locks will not freeze.
What You Need to Do About Your Passengers
When you are traveling in the car and when you are winter driving as well you have to be very careful and that means that you will prepare for the worst and hope for the very best.
This means that you should have everything that you need that will keep you safe as well as ensure that you have all you need to keep your passenger safe.
Items you need all year
1. A car and mobile phone charger.
3. Your medication
5. Back up bulbs for your lights
6. A First air kit.
7. A road atlas
8. A navigation system
9. Your breakdown insurance card.
Your Winter Emergency Kit
Winter driving is harder than regular driving and that means that you need to make sure that you have all you need to be safe.
1. A blanket
2. A shovel
3. A bit of carpet to put under wheels that need to regain traction after the snow or ice
4. Sale and cat litter to help with the ice
5. Reflective jackets in case you need to walk
6. Ice Scraper and de-ice
7. Torch and Batteries
8. Tow Rope
9. Snow Chains
10. Battery Jump Leads
11. Bottled Water
13. Windshield Cleaner
By ensuring that you have all of these items you will know that you are able to drive safely and also make sure that you are ready for everything that you need right there.